Harvey Family Tree 2018-04-30

The only church in the area at the time was St Matthews, close to Kedron Brook:

Shared note

The only church in the area at the time was St Matthews, close to Kedron Brook:

St. Matthew's Anglican Church - built on land donated by early settlers John and Mary Nicholson. Designed by Colonial Architect, Charles Tiffin who based his design on the church at barford St. martins, Wiltshire, England. Foundation Stone laid by Sir George Ferguson Bowen (first Governor) 23 September, 1867. This church building is said to have been made from locally made bricks with the clay coming from a site near the present Elsworthy Street and Grovely Terrace intersection.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2006/04/28/1620108.htm

The Story of St Matthew's Church for Children

By Pam Cory, Parishioner

One hundred and fifty years ago there were no white people living in the places we now know as Mitchelton, Keperra, Arana Hills, Ferny Hills, Ferny Grove and Upper Kedron. The only people here were the Aboriginal people who lived mostly along the banks of the creek we now call Kedron Brook.

In 1857, the Government sold six large blocks of land in Mitchelton and another four in were sold in 1860. These blocks of land extended from what is now Samford Road to Kedron Brook. The land was used for farming and over the years more land was sold and many farms were begun. One of the large blocks sold in 1860 was at the corner of Samford Road and Church Road at Mitchelton.

In 1864 part of this land was bought be John and Mary Nicholson who built a house which they called Groveley Lodge. They used to hold Sunday School classes in their house but they wanted to build a church because the nearest churches were in Fortitude Valley and George Street in Brisbane Town. They asked the Bishop for permission to a build a church on their land and he agreed to this. They then got an architect called Charles Tiffin to draw up the plans.

All the people in the district were very excited about having a church of their own. There were no other churches around and no schools either so it would be a very important building. They all wanted to help to build the church and so they did. Some of them gave building materials and others did some of the work. The bricks for the outside were made by hand from clay at the bottom of the hill. All the pine timber came from Samford and the red cedar for the seats which are called pews also came from Samford. These pews are still in the church today.

When they were ready to begin building, they had to have a ceremony called laying the foundation stone. Usually an important person is asked to do this and the Nicholson's asked the most important person in Queensland. He was Sir George Bowen who was Queensland's first Governor. He and his family lived at Government House which was at the end of George Street in Brisbane Town. This building is still there and is now part of the Queensland University of Technology near the City Botanic Gardens and you are able to go and see it.

On the 23rd September, 1867, Sir George came with Lady Bowen and their party to lay the foundation stone. It was a long trip and they came on horseback and in carriages. After a speech of welcome from Mr Nicholson, Sir George laid the foundation stone. You may know the names of some of the people who were present as there are streets and a suburb in the district called after them - Nicholson, Pickering, Mott, Lade, Marshall, Taylor, Blaker, Scanlan and McDowall.

This little church is in Church Road and is called St Matthew's after one of Jesus' disciples. It is still used all the time for church services and it is the oldest building in the district.

http://www.grovelyanglican.org.au/community/history/the-story-of-st-matthew-s-for-children/

Given names Surname Age Given names Surname Age Marriage Place Last change
John Morris
35Sarah Jane Mary Ann Catherine Maggs
20139Kedron Brook, Mitchelton, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia6July 12, 2017 - 10:49:15 p.m.