Harvey Family Tree 2018-04-30

Benjamin 'Ben' BullAge: 73 years18701944

Name
Benjamin 'Ben' Bull
Given names
Benjamin 'Ben'
Surname
Bull
Birth February 19, 1870 27 25
Address: Pleasant Row
Birth of a sisterIsabella (Bella) Bull
between 1871 and 1872 (Age 10 months)
Death of a paternal grandmotherIsabella Read
July 18, 1872 (Age 2 years)
Birth of a brotherHenry (Mike) Bull
June 25, 1874 (Age 4 years)
Birth of a sisterElizabeth (Lizzie) Bull
November 1, 1876 (Age 6 years)

Birth of a sisterEleanor (Nell) Bull
October 4, 1879 (Age 9 years)

Death of a motherJane Steel
July 20, 1891 (Age 21 years)
Address: Great Sutton Street
MarriageAlice Annie MottView this family
August 24, 1891 (Age 21 years)
Occupation
Butcher (census)
1891 (Age 20 years)

Residence 1891 (Age 20 years)
Address: High Street
Birth of a daughter
#1
Edith Bull
after 1891 (Age 20 years)

Death of a fatherJohn Bull
February 22, 1892 (Age 22 years)
Cause: Morbus cordis anasarca
Death of a sisterJane (Jenny) Bull
January 20, 1920 (Age 49 years)
Cause: Morbus cordis (i.e., heart disease or heat attack)
Burial of a sisterJane (Jenny) Bull
January 1920 (Age 49 years)
Address: Aldersbrook Road
Death of a sisterElizabeth (Lizzie) Bull
after November 1921 (Age 51 years)

Death 1944 (Age 73 years)
Reference numberAlice Annie MottView this family
4610
yes

Family with parents - View this family
father
mother
Jane Steel
Birth: May 29, 1844Bethnal Green, London, Middlesex, England, United Kingdom
Death: July 20, 189134 Great Sutton Street, Clerkenwell, Islington, London, England, United Kingdom
Marriage: between October 1863 and March 1864Bethnal Green, London, Middlesex, England, United Kingdom
1 year
elder brother
21 months
elder sister
Jane (Jenny) Bull
Birth: July 1, 1866 23 2215 Pleasant Row, Mile End, Middlesex, London, England, United Kingdom
Death: January 20, 1920Ilford, Essex, England, United Kingdom
4 years
himself
3 years
younger sister
Isabella (Bella) Bull
Birth: between 1871 and 1872 28 26Old Ford (I.e., Bow), Middlesex, England, United Kingdom
4 years
younger brother
Henry (Mike) Bull
Birth: June 25, 1874 31 30Old Ford (I.e., Bow), London, England, United Kingdom
Death: April 15, 1962School House, Bishopstone, Wiltshire, England, United Kingdom
2 years
younger sister
3 years
younger sister
Family with Private - View this family
himself
wife
Private
son
Private
Family with Mary [--?--] - View this family
himself
wife
son
Private
daughter
Private
Family with Alice Annie Mott - View this family
himself
wife
Marriage: August 24, 1891Homerton, London, England, United Kingdom
4 months
daughter
… … + Alice Annie Mott - View this family
wife
Marriage: August 24, 1891St Barnabas Church, Homerton
4 months
daughter

Birth

Mile End New Town

Pages 265-288

Survey of London: Volume 27, Spitalfields and Mile End New Town. Originally published by London County Council, London, 1957.

Deal Street Metropolitan Association Estate

Among the more interesting buildings remaining in Mile End New Town are those which comprise the second estate of the Metropolitan Association for Improving the Dwellings of the Industrious Classes, founded in 1842 and incorporated by royal charter in 1845. The aim of the Association, whose early members included the Earl of Carlisle, Viscount Ebrington, Lord Haddo, and Sir Ralph Howard, was to provide model housing on a sound financial basis. (fn. 70) Its first completed undertaking was a large block of family dwellings in St. Pancras. (fn. 71) In 1846 the Association refused a site behind Millbank Prison, which was offered by the Commissioners of Woods and Forests, and attempted unsuccessfully to acquire land in the newly formed Commercial Street, Spitalfields, for two blocks with a court-yard between them. (fn. 72) The site which the Association purchased from John Cookson and his mortgagees (see page 268) in 1848 for £1,300 (fn. 73) was bounded on the north and west by two new roads, now Underwood Road and Deal Street. To the east lay the property of Messrs. Hanbury and to the south a strip of land on the north side of Pleasant Row which had been developed in the latter half of the eighteenth century. In the summer of 1848 a competition was held to provide a design comprising two buildings, one a block of family dwellings and the other a model lodging house for single men. The successful candidate was William Beck, but designs were also received from Barnett, Grellier, Daukes and Ricardo, all of which were exhibited publicly. The Builder commented on the exhibition, commending the quality of all the work and remarking on certain similarities, due probably to directives from the Association. Daukes, Barnett and Ricardo seem to have designed in the Italo-Romanesque style which was already a feature of the newer East London churches, using heavy cornices, round-headed windows, rustication and massive detail. The preferred material throughout was yellow or white brick with red trimming, later to become standard in this type of building. Daukes submitted an interesting plan for a block of dwellings in which the four upper storeys were paired to form a series of two-floored maisonettes. These were joined by iron access balconies with corner staircases, set in open loggias. At this date the only example in England of such balconies was to be found in a block of dwellings in Liverpool, (fn. 74) but the idea was available from Continental literary sources. (fn. 75) Beck received the commission for the practical merits of his designs rather than for his external treatment, which was more conventional than that of the other competitors. (fn. 76)

The lodging house was commenced on the southern portion of the site late in 1848, and was opened in December 1849 (Plate 76a, fig. 70). The contractor was Samuel Grimsdell, whose tender was for £9,565. (fn. 77) The building, called ’The Artisan's Home’, was given a considerable amount of attention by the architectural press, as the first of its kind in the country. (fn. 78)

It has four storeys above ground level and is faced with stock brick, the dressings being of red brick and stucco. The plan is U-shaped, and the ends of the wings project slightly on the front elevation and are crowned with pediments. The centrepiece of Classical design, which rises through three storeys. As originally planned, the wings contained dormitories, and the short cross arm held the staircase and sanitary facilities. The dormitories were divided into long rows of cubicles opening on a central corridor, with half a window to each. The ground floor was given over to the superintendent's quarters and public rooms, the chief of which was a coffee-room measuring forty-five by thirty-five feet and occupying the space between the long wings. Columns divided the room into a central area with two side aisles, the latter filled by built-in tables and benches. The roof, of open construction, was finished in stained timber with skylights, and the end wall was pierced by a large Venetian window with a smaller window to each side. Some contemporary critics considered this room too grand for its purpose. (fn. 79) A library, reading-room, kitchen and cook's hatch for prepared meals were also provided. In the basement were baths, washing facilities and meat safes. Figure 70:

Metropolitan Association's Model Lodging House (now Howard Buildings), Deal Street, plan and section. Re-drawn from Tie Builder

The Builder (fn. 78) had early expressed doubts about the suitability of the designation ’Home’, and its fears were realized, for over the following twenty years the model lodging house, like others in London, did not prove successful. (fn. 80) The rules and regulations which went with the advantages of the place had little appeal, and many men preferred the cosy camaraderie of the common lodging houses, despite their disgraceful state. Accommodation was provided for 234 men, but there were rarely more than 157 lodgers. It became clear that the Association could not continue to operate so unprofitable a venture, and in 1869 the building was converted into dwellings for forty-six families, under the name of Howard Buildings. (fn. 70) The dormitories were subdivided into rooms, some or the windows made into doors, and external iron access galleries added, entirely transforming the side elevation of the building. The new flats were occupied in 1870. Between 1877 and 1879 the building was extended eastward to accommodate thirty-seven more families. (fn. 70) This addition does not continue the style of the original building.

Work was started on the block of family dwellings in 1849 (fn. 81) and completed in 1850 (fn. 70) (Plate 76a). The building is L-shaped in plan and five storeys high above the basement. Its internal arrangements were similar to those of the earlier buildings in St. Pancras, and according to a contemporary description in The Builder, (fn. 82) consisted of a series of staircases giving access to two dwellings on each floor. These contained a living-room, two bedrooms and a scullery with sink, dust shoot and lavatory (fig. 71). Such self-contained sculleries were a debatable feature at a time when cholera and fever were believed to be caused by the gases from drains. An elaborate system of built-in ventilation was designed to overcome any such danger. The building was of fireproof construction, based on a use of cast iron joists. (fn. 83) Figure 71:

Plan of two typical flats in Metropolitan Association's Albert Buildings, Deal Street. Re-drawn from The Builder

Externally the facing materials are again stock brick with red brick and stucco dressings. The ground storey is banded in red brick and at the level of the first and third floors there is a broad band of stucco, the cornice being of the same material. The main elevation, facing north, is modelled to provide three shallow projections, and is lacking in central emphasis. Despite this fault and also an awkwardness in the fenestration, both this building and the lodging house retain some of the dignity of an earlier period.

With the completion of the initial project, the Association further enlarged the site of the estate by the acquisition of a strip of land fronting on what was then Pleasant Row and Pelham Street. The freehold was purchased from the trustees of the will of the late Sir George Osborn in 1850, together with two terraces of houses (presumably of late eighteenth-century date) which then stood on the site. (fn. 41) At first the Association let these houses out as they were, but by 1857 those in Pelham Street required such extensive repairs that they were pulled down and replaced by two parallel terraces of cottages with a separate dwelling on each of the two floors, thus accommodating thirty-two families (Plate 76b). Three shops were also provided. (fn. 70) These two terraces were known as the Albert Cottages, and in 1865 they were duplicated by the Victoria Cottages for thirty-six families, which replaced the old houses on the Pleasant Row site. (fn. 84) The architect is not known. Each flat consists of a living-room, bedroom, scullery, and sanitary facilities, and each has a separate entrance paired with that to the adjoining flat. Two terraces are built in ’white’ brick and two in stock brick, with red brick dressings and slated roofs. One terrace in either group faces on to a foot-way with a small front garden to each cottage.

The Albert and Victoria Cottages were intended for those who could not afford the higher rents of the family dwellings. The Association had the example already set by the first project of the Society for Improving the Condition of the Labouring Classes in Bagnigge Wells, Gray's Inn Road, (fn. 85) and the Prince Consort's model houses for the Great Exhibition of 1851. (fn. 86) Nevertheless, they were criticized for using the land to provide housing of such a low density. (fn. 80) It appears that the first project had been to use the site for other large blocks, but instead the Association experimented on an urban estate with a type of model housing more typical of country or suburban districts. During the war of 1939–45 the Victoria Cottages facing into Woodseer Street were partially destroyed by bombing.

Birth

Does not sem to exist anymore however found map of it near Hoxton Square between Habedashers R and New Road.

See Citation and gallery

BirthMap Pleasant Row 1814Map Pleasant Row 1814
Format: image/jpeg
Image dimensions: 1,730 × 2,444 pixels
File size: 1,648 KB